When writing stories, journalists tend to want to inject their own ideas and opinions into the news reports. Objectivity requires that journalists don't do that. Journalists should stick to observable facts only.
Being thorough in your reporting is very important. Journalists need to take time to find the best sources, evidence, and so on for their report. It is their goal to make sure that the audience is given enough information so that they can make informed decisions.
No one wants to read a news report that is based on false facts, that's why it is important that journalist be accurate. They need to be sure to check every bit of information that they receive from interviews against original sources.
When reporting, it is also important to be fair. Journalists need to be sure that all bases are covered. Both sides of the story need to be incorporated.
Journalists need to be transparent when it comes to reporting. This means that they need to be open about what biases they bring to the job, how they get their information and how they make decisions on choosing and reporting stories.
Personally, I think that all of them are important in one way or another. They all should be incorporated into news stories. If I had to choose just one, I would choose objectivity. When I read a news story, I want to read facts. I don't want the reporter injecting their own opinions into it.
Wednesday, April 9, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment