Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Federal Student Loan Repayment Program

For my feature story, I plan to find out more about the student loan repayment loan that the federal government offers. This program allows agencies to repay federally insured student loans as a recruitment or retention incentive for candidates or current employees of the agency. You are eligible for the program if you are a permanent employee, term employee, temporary employee, or employees serving on excepted appointments. Federal employees can receive up to $60,000 and must provide a three year commitment to the agency or department that provided the repayment. If the employee becomes unemployed by the agency within the three year time frame, then the recipient must pay back the amount in full to the agency. I emailed people today, but I haven't gotten a response. I hope to hear from someone soon so I can begin setting up interviews.

1 comment:

Dr. Spaulding said...

Glad you've got a good start. Follow up those emails with voicemails. I usually call people once or twice a day and leave pleasant messages until I get an answer.