Sunday, February 17, 2008

For this news story, I think that students and counselors who have dealt with student credit card debt will be good sources. The only one I could get in contact with at the moment is my cousin Jillian Jones in Georgia.

My cousin is a 26 year-old college student getting her Master's Degree. She has three credit cards with a debt of about $8,000. When she told me that, I was shocked. Most of the articles I looked at said students have about $3,000 in debt. She told me that most people look at her $8,000 and don't think that it is a big deal because they are more in debt that she is.

Like most students, she charged things on credit cards with the mindset that you can pay it back later. She says that paying off the bad hasn't been too bad, but it just seems like it is going to take forever to pay it off. She told me about a guy named Dave Ramsey. He has books out that can help people in debt. She is currently reading this book to help her out.

After listening to what she had to say, I think I want to focus on how students who have debt are dealing with it. When I say that, I mean what steps they are taking to try to pay it off. I want to focus on that because we all know that students have debt, but we don't necessarily know how they are dealing with it.

1 comment:

Dr. Spaulding said...

A bit of advice for you: keep it local. Find Towson students here on campus struggling with this issue. There are a lot of them.